CHEF RICK MOONEN RECIPES
Some Recipes are from the book “FISH WITHOUT A DOUBT” by Rick Moonen & Roy Finamore, copyright @ 2008. Reprinted by permission of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Rick Moonen's Anti-Inflammatory Vinaigrette. Serves 4 people.
True North Salmon. Delicious recipe!
- 1 cup Fresh Turmeric, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup Ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup Garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 cup Bragg’s Brand Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 cup Bragg’s Brand Liquid Aminos
- 3 cup Organic Flax Seed Oil
- 1 cup Raw Pumpkin Seeds
- 1 cup Raw Sunflower Seeds
- 1 cup Raw Pine Nuts
- 4 oz Organic Spring Mix, washed and dried
- 1 cup Anti-Inflammatory Vinaigrette, shaken well
- 2 oz Cucumber, de-seeded and diced
- 2 oz Green Zucchini, diced
- 2 oz Yellow Squash, diced
- 2 oz Red Radish, sliced thin using a mandolin
- 2 oz Organic or Heirloom Carrot, peeled and sliced thin on a bias using a mandolin
- 2 oz Sunflower Sprouts,
- 1 oz Peppadew Peppers, sliced into rounds
- 1 oz Red Onion, small diced
- 16 each Organic Tear Drop Tomatoes, washed and sliced in half
- 1 each Avocado, diced
- 4 oz Roasted Seed and Nut Mix,
- 2 TB Salt,
- 1 TB Fresh Cracked Black Pepper,
- 5oz Filet True North Salmon Chopped
Place the chopped turmeric, ginger and garlic into a robo coupe. Pulse repeatedly until mixture becomes finely chopped. Do not over process as it will create a paste. Remove mixture and place into a stainless steel mixing bowl. Whisk in all other ingredients until fully incorporated.
Mix all ingredients together in stainless steel bowl. Lay out onto a full-size sheet tray, making sure that it is a single even layer. Roast at 350F for about 10 minutes or until a light golden brown. Let cool and store in an air tight jar in a cool dry place.
Place all vegetables except the avocado into a medium sized, stainless steel mixing bowl. Add the vinaigrette, salt, and pepper. Mix well to fully coat all of the ingredients. Add in the spring mix and toss until greens are fully coated. Spin salad with your hand to create a semi-tight ball that has height. Place into the center of serving plate. Garnish with avocado and roasted seed mix. Enjoy!
- 2 Cups Heavy Cream (kernels cut from the cob and the milk scraped)
- 1/2 cup Yellow Corn Meal
- 3-4 Ears Sweet Corn
- 1 cup Frozen Peas
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 8 Cloves Garlic
- 2 bunches Cilantro
- 1 bunch Italian Flat Leaf Parsle
- 1 whole Lemon Zest and Juice
- 1/4 cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Dry Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Chile Flakes
- 1 tsp Salt
- 3/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 Flat Iron Steaks
- 1/4 lb Sweet Butter
- 6-8 Sprigs
- Fresh Thyme
- Salt & Pepper
In a medium saucepan over medium heat bring the cream to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper and whisk in the cornmeal to incorporate into the cream. Stir in the corn and the milk from the cobs. Bring to a simmer and cook until it has the consistency of pudding. Adjust the seasoning and fold in the peas. Keep warm.
For the Chimichurri:
Process in a food processor until you get a pesto consistency. Keep at room temperature.
Chef Rick Moonen cooks up this delicious seafood dish that serves six!
- 4 naan bread
- olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless (True North Salmon fillet, chilled in the freezer for 20 to 30 minutes)
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Freshly ground white pepper
- 1 large egg white , (whipped to soft peaks)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup chopped cornichons
- 1 tablespoon chopped capers
- 1 medium shallot , coarsely chopped
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 heaping tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 1/2 heaping tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 2 heaping tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
1 ripe beefsteak tomato, cored and cut into 4 thick slices
Green Tartar Sauce ( see recipe)
A handful of tender salad greens
Heat the broiler. Using a pastry brush or your fingers, coat each side of the naan bread with a thin layer of olive oil. Place on the broiler rack and broil for about 2 minutes, until brown. Turn and broil for another 2 minutes. Wrap in a kitchen towel.
Sharpen your knife and finely dice the salmon. Place the salmon in a medium bowl. Add the bell peppers, scallions, and cream and combine gently with your hands. Season with the Tabasco, salt, and white pepper. Gently fold in 1/4 cup of the beaten egg white. Form into 4 patties.
Heat the canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat and put 1/2 teaspoon of butter next to each burger. Cook for 3 minutes, and then flip until browned. Cook for another 2 minutes or until nicely browned on both sides.
Split the naan bread open. Set each burger on one pita half and top with a slab of tomato, a dollop of tartar sauce, some if the greens and the other naan half.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR GREEN TARTAR SAUCE:
Drop the cornichons, capers, and shallot into a food processor. Then process for a few seconds just to combine; add the mayonnaise, mustard, herbs, lemon juice, and white pepper and process for about 8 seconds to blend well. Scrape down the sides. With the motor running, add the oil in a slow, steady stream.
Scrape the tartar sauce out into an airtight container, cover, and refrigerate for 24 hours before using.
- 4 cloves Garlic , chopped
- 2 Thai Chilies , thin slice, seeds included
- 5 ounces Fish Sauce
- 2 Tbs Thai Shrimp Paste
- 6 ounces Lime juice , fresh squeezed
- 2 Tbs Lime zest
- 2 Tbs Honey
- 4 ounces Olive Oil
- 12 Sea Scallops (3 per salad)
- 1 small Green Papaya , very firm
- 2 cups Mung Bean Sprouts
- 12 Scallions , cut on a bias, 2 “ long
- 6 Plum Tomatoes , long thin strips
- 1 cup Cilantro leaves
- 1 cup Mint leaves
- 2 cups Roasted Peanuts
Place the chopped garlic and thai chilies in a mortar bowl…With a pestle mash them together to fully puree them. Add the fish paste, fish sauce, lime juice, lime zest and honey. Whisk everything together to dissolve the honey. Whisk in the oil and let the dressing sit overnight to develop its flavor.
Season sea scallops with salt and white pepper. Heat a small saute pan on medium-high heat and put a tablespoon of olive oil in pan and sear scallops on both sides until carmelized. Hold. Peel the green papaya (the flesh should be white) then slice it in half to remove the seeds. Using a Japanese mandolin, cut the flesh into thin strips 3 inches long. Place in a large bowl with the scallions. With a muddler, bruise the papaya and scallions with 4 ounces of the vinaigrette. Add the sprouts, tomatoes, peanuts, cilantro and mint. Add more dressing to moisten and toss to combine. Distribute the tossed
mixture on four large shallow bowls in a mound. Pour the remaining vinaigrette from the bowl over the top. Arrange the cooked scallops around the side of the salad. Garnish with extra peanuts and cilantro sprigs.
Yield Makes 10 servings
• 2 to 3 medium eggplants (about 3 pounds total)
• 1 medium White onion, finley diced
• 2-3 Cups extra virgin olive oil
• 4 Tablespoons toasted sesame oil
• 1/2 cup tahini
• ¼ cup smooth peanut butter
• 6 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
• Juice of 2 lemons and their zest (about 1/2 cup)
• Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 450°F. Place a cast iron roasting pan inside to preheat. Rub the outside of the eggplants with olive oil and place them directly over the open flames of the range to char the skin. in a roasting plan. Place the charred eggplants in the pre heated pan in the oven and roast the eggplant until the interior is tender, 15 minutes. Let cool.
2. Peel and seed the cooled eggplant, roughly chop the flesh, and then transfer it to the bowl of a food processor.
3. Into the processor bowl add the tahini, peanut butter, onion, garlic, lemon juice, some salt and pepper to taste, and a few teaspoons of cold water. Process the mixture to a coarse paste, adding a bit more water as needed to allow the mixture to blend. Incorporate the olive and sesame oils.
4. 4. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper to taste and serve.
12 ounces tarama,(Salted Carp Roe Paste)
1 quart grapeseed or vegetable oil
5 ounces bottled lemon juice (Real brand)
7 ounces whole almonds, soaked in cold water overnight, blanched and peeled
2 pounds Idaho potatoes, 90 count, boiled skin-on, peeled and chilled down
7 ounces yellow onions, peeled and cut into thirds
6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
4 ounces seltzer water
Using a standing mixer outfitted with a paddle, put the tarama in the mixing bowl. Run the almonds, potatoes and onions through a meat grinder directly into the mixing bowl over the tarama. Place mixer on #2 speed. Little by little, add the grapeseed oil to incorporate. After about half the oil is incorporated dd the lemon juice and blend. Add the remaining oil until the consistency is thick. Fnish by adding the seltzer and running it on high speed for a brief second to lighten up the mixture.
The taramasalata will hold for two weeks.
Serve with black olives on top and fresh Naan bread.
Makes 2 1/2 cups
2 cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and grated on large holes of grater
2 cups plain, full fat Greek yogurt (high quality, without gums and thickeners)
1 clove very fresh garlic, minced
1 teaspoon course sea salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice plus zest
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon Fresh mint leaves
1 tablespoon Fresh dill
Drain yogurt for 1 hour in a cheesecloth-lined strainer to remove some of its water.
In a bowl, combine the yogurt, garlic, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
In a small bowl sprinkle the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt over the cucumber. Place salted cucumber in a colander lined with cheesecloth and place colander in the sink or over a bowl. Allow to sit for 30 minutes while the salt extracts the excess water from the cucumber and the water drains. Squeeze the liquid out of the ucumbers.
Add drained cucumber to yogurt, along with the garlic, lemon juice, mint, dill and pepper…mix well. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour.
Serve chilled with pita or naan bread.
1 ½ Cups Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Juice of one lemon
2 Tbs. Chopped Garlic
1 Tbs. Dry Greek Oregano
1 Tbs. Fresh Rosemary
Course Salt and freshly ground black pepper
16 Loin Lamb Chops
- 4 Chicken Thighs (about 1 pound)
- Coarse salt and black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Dry Oregano
- 2 teaspoons Smoked Paprika
- 4 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1/2 pound Merguez Sausage Meatballs or Spanish chorizo
- 1 Large Onion , medium dice
- 4 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 Large , Anaheim Chile Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Saffron threads
- 1 cup Chopped Tomatoes , Pomi
- ½ cup Sliced Black Olives
- 1 bouillon cube
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup Clam Juice
- 8-12 littleneck clams , scrubbed
- 4 (2-ounce) pieces black sea bass orlocal fish, skin on
- ½ pound Squid Tubes , cut into strips
- 1/2 pound mussels , scrubbed
- 12 medium Shrimp , peeled with tail on
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 cups short grain rice , Bomba
- or Senia preferred
- 25 g kosher salt
- 2 g fennel seed
- 3 g coriander seeds
- 2 g chipotle peppers
- 4 g cayenne
- 7 g ancho powder
- 3 g cumin seed course
- 2 g caraway seed course
- 1 g chile flakes
- 5 g sweet paprika
- 5 g sugar
- 3 g black pepper
- 25 g fine red onion
- 4 g fine diced garlic
- 80 g ice/water
- 3 g oregano
- 21 g scallion finely chopped
- 21 g cilantro finely chopped
- 3.1 # or 1409g boneless lamb shoulder meat
- Grind meat and incorporate dry and wet ingredients.
Dry rub the chicken with salt, pepper, oregano and paprika. Let sit while you make the merguez meat balls (optional bonus recipe…below). If you opt out of making the merguez then now is when you can get the rest of the ingredients prepared.
Heat a large (12-inch) skillet that has a lid over medium-high heat. When the pan’s hot, add the oil and brown the merguez meatballs (or the chorizo). With a slotted spoon, remove the browned meat to a plate on the side and keep the hot fat in the pan. Place the chicken, skin side down into the same hot oil. Brown the chicken well on both sides. Remove the chicken to the plate.
Add the onion, anaheim pepper and the garlic to the pan and sauté, stirring, until it becomes translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the saffron and sauté, stirring, for about 1 minute, until fragrant. Add the rice and stir to toast the grains of rice. Add the tomatoes and olives. Pour in the liquids (chicken bouillion and clam juice) and bring to a simmer. Stir, return the chicken and the meatballs to the skillet, cover and bring back to a simmer. Simmer while you gather up and season all of the seafood with salt and pepper.
After the chicken has simmered for 5 minutes remove the lid and bury the clams in the rice, hinge down. Cover again and allow to cook for 3 minutes. Arrange the mussels, squid and fish filet (skin side up) on top of the simmering rice. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan, and cook for 10 more minutes.
Scatter the peas over the rice, cover again, and cook for 2 minutes. Turn off the heat and let the paella rest for 5 minutes.
Garnish with the parsley and serve right from the skillet.
Merguez sausage (bonus recipe)
Grind meat and incorporate dry and wet ingredients.